"The question is, “Are we living by the right priorities?"
"If I’m too busy to cultivate my relationship with God by the means of grace God has provided for me, then I’m too busy. Then something is wrong and something has to change."
"As you review God’s priorities for your life, the first one being the same for all of us—our relationship with God:
- What would you say is the number one priority in your life?
- What would others say is the number one priority in your life?
- Based on what you love to talk about, on the way you spend your time, what you do when you have free time, what is the number one priority in your life?
[me]As we come into this new year what will be our priority?
Talk about a busy day.
Mark 1:21
Jesus Heals a Man with an Unclean Spirit
21 And they went into Capernaum, and immediately on the Sabbath he entered the synagogue and was teaching. 22And they were astonished at his teaching, for he taught them as one who had authority, and not as the scribes. 23And immediately there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit. And he cried out, 24 "What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are the Holy One of God." 25But Jesus rebuked him, saying, "Be silent, and come out of him!" 26And the unclean spirit, convulsing him and crying out with a loud voice, came out of him. 27And they were all amazed, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, "What is this? A new teaching with authority! He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him." 28And at once his fame spread everywhere throughout all the surrounding region of Galilee.Jesus Heals Many
29 And immediately he left the synagogue and entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.Nancy "You think, “Whew!” Finally, a chance to let your hair down. You’ve had a long day of ministry; finally you get to relax at home, kick your feet up, pick up a copy of the newspaper or magazine, whatever, check your email . . . look what happens."
30Now Simon’s mother-in-law lay ill with a fever, and immediately they told him about her. 31And he came and took her by the hand and lifted her up, and the fever left her, and she began to serve them.
Nancy “Whew! Now I can just let down.” Right? Look at the next verse:
32That evening at sundown they brought to him all who were sick or oppressed by demons. 33And the whole city was gathered together at the door. 34 And he healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons. And he would not permit the demons to speak, because they knew him.
Nancy "Again, some of you are moms, and that’s who I’m usually ministering to. You moms know. You just wish there was like one little place in the whole world where you could get away from the crowd. You say, “I know, I’ll go in the bathroom.” Right? And then these little fingers come under the door, and they go, “Mommy!” You want to say, “My name’s not Mommy anymore. Go find another mommy.” (Laughter)"
"Well, He was God, of course, but He was serving as a man to show us how we as humans filled with His grace and His Holy Spirit could serve like Him."
"I think the very next verse, verse 35, gives us the key. Are you ready?"
Jesus Preaches in Galilee
35 And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed. Nancy "Now, there’s more, but let me just stop there for a moment. I can just tell you that after a day like Jesus just had, that full of giving out and spending and pouring out in ministry, there’s only one thing I want to do very early the next morning while it’s still dark, and that is spelled S-L-E-E-P. (Laughter) Keep those curtains down. I like breakfast. It’s my favorite meal of the day . . . if I can have it at 11. (Laughter)
But “very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus gets up,” and what does He do? He left the house and went off to a solitary place where He prayed—communion with His Heavenly Father."
36And Simon and those who were with him searched for him, 37and they found him and said to him, "Everyone is looking for you." 38And he said to them, "Let us go on to the next towns, that I may preach there also, for that is why I came out." 39 And he went throughout all Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and casting out demons.
Nancy: "We need to learn to recognize the difference between what’s urgent and what’s important."
"Let me assure you that Satan is ever at work trying to get you to stop doing the most important things. If he can keep you busy with the good things and keep you from doing the most important things, then he has succeeded."
"Jesus said to Martha, “You're anxious and troubled about many things, but only one thing is absolutely needful” (see Luke 10:41-2). Have you chosen that good part? Are you choosing it? This time will tether your heart to God, to His kingdom and His ways. It will keep you from being set adrift in this world, being driven by your emotions and by your circumstances and by other people."
"It's a recurring battle for me, I'll tell you that. But I believe it's a battle worth fighting."
No comments:
Post a Comment