Tuesday, October 19, 2010

God speaks to us through His word.

[me] I can so often find myself going through my quiet time and just [in a sense] checking it off, and not taking the time that I should.  

Some I've been doing a study on Habakkuk with ROH. [of the ideas/thoughts are below].


"Now that we have the completed Scripture, the written Word of God, God speaks to us through His Word. He has spoken to us through His Word. His Word in the written Scripture is complete, and God speaks to us by His Spirit who lives within us.
What does the Spirit do? The Spirit helps us understand the Word, so the Spirit within us gives us understanding, illuminates the Word."

"You cannot expect to ignore the Scripture or spend limited time with it or be hasty with it, get minimum doses of it into your heart and then fill your mind with other books and TV programs and music[or what ever it is for you] and expect God to answer you."

Habakkuk 2:1
I will take my stand at my watchpost and station myself on the tower, and look out to see what he will say to me, and what I will answer concerning my complaint.

..."But you have to get your heart to a place where you’re quiet and still and waiting and listening for God to speak. That’s the attitude we need as we go to the Word of God. “I will take my stand at my watchpost.”"

"I think that's one of the reasons so many of us feel that God doesn't answer our prayers—because we don't wait long enough. We throw up our prayer, and then we're out of there, on to the next activity, the next busy thing in our lives. We're not waiting for God to answer."

"When we cry out to the Lord, He hears us, and He answers us, not always in our time, not always in the way that we would have hoped, but He answers us."

In Habakkuk 1.  Habakkuk cry for help.  The LORD answers him. "For behold, I am raising up the Chaldeans, that bitter and hasty nation.." 

"God doesn't always answer us in exactly the way we had thought He would."

"God doesn't always answer immediately. What is He waiting for? I don't know.
  • Maybe He's waiting for us to be ready to listen.
  • Maybe He's waiting for us to be in a place where we can be prepared for the answer.
  • Maybe He's waiting for something that has nothing to do with us, but God knows why."
"We can trust that, though He does not always answer immediately, He is still hearing, and He is in the process of answering."

 "Take heart. Have faith. Be encouraged. God is at work."

"You've got to make time[for God's word]. It's not just going to happen in your schedule. You've got to carve out the time. Set it apart. Set it aside."

2 comments: